Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A faith struggle- straight from the heart.

Life throws many things at us - good, bad, perplexing and simple. The Christian life is no different. As life rolls on, we encounter so many different situations not only in our lives but also that of the family, friends, neighbours and colleagues.

This is an honest, straight from the heart blog - no pretense, no mask, no charades. Today is a day that started with many question assaulting my mind. I feel like the psalmist David who was perplexed at times. Maybe you too feel like this sometimes.Then reflect with me..



We are called to live by faith and not by sight. WE are sons of Abraham, the father of faith. Jesus said if we have faith even as mall as a mustard seed we can say to a mountain "move" and it shall be done!!!

However, today I sit reflecting on those mountains that need moving and NOW. They seem to have been around for a looong time : mountains in my own life, in the lives of my friends, family, church. Mountains of crippling health situations, failing finances, relational strive, challenging addictions, a battle for spiritual fruit. The list can go on and on.

I think of all those people of the "faith movement" who keep shouting "believe it, name it, claim it..", like a magic mantra! You don't possess it because you don't have faith. How re assuring!!!!

But, when I anchor in the WORD I see two things happening- there are the suddenly s of God - where God breaks upon a situation causing the dead to come alive, the blind to see, the cripple to walk, finances restored, the stranglehold of addictions broken, storm stilled.
I also see the great heroes of faith ( that is what they are called) who despite believing died not having received what they were in faith for and they are still commended for their  - Faith ( not for having received what ever it was they were in faith for )

As Job said shall we accept only goodness from God and not accept the trials?James encourages us to persevere  under trials, testings of many kinds.

I know that my God is sovereign and in control. His ways are higher than mine and incomprehensible a lot of the times. When I sit perplexed on such a day as this, I know that in times like these, the wise thing to do is to sit still in His presence, still my soul and find rest in God alone.
He is my anchor, the horn of my plenty, my refuge and strength in times  of trouble.

My heart goes out to all those who I am praying for today - those struggling with illness, the pain of bareness, for children who long to see their father delivered from the clutches of alcohol, those who are longing to meet their life partner, the poor who feel trapped in their helpless state. Oh , this list can fill pages.. I know I long for rapid answered to prayer. 

But I also know I believe in a prayer answering God. Scratched out prayer lists over the years bear testimony to God's faithfulness. So I am learning to straddle the truth that faith can move mountains and will; while on the other hand there is the waiting and the possibility that the answer to a prayer is actually a "no".  I am reminded of a quote:WHAT IF ?

What if the Israelites had stopped circling Jericho on day six? What if Elijah had quit praying for rain after his sixth request? Or what if Naaman had only dipped in the river six times? (Batterson, Mark Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge 

This I know, God is for me and for all those who love Him and are called by His name. While we are promised abundant life ( the definition to that is open ended and does not consist of material blessings only ), Jesus also reminded us that in this world we shall have many troubles and I have to straddle the two truths with His grace.
"Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior. 
The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights." ( Habbakuk 3:17-19)


So I end this morning's reflections lifting my eyes to the maker of heaven and earth, to Jesus, the great high priest who was tempted in every way therefore able to sympathies with my weakness. He is the author and finisher of my faith. He will keep me strong till the end. I'll end with copying the lyrics of a song I recently wrote and if you struggling to find faith in your heart - focus on Christ the hope of glory.


Christ in me the hope of glory
Christ in me bringing new life
          Christ before me, the world behind me
Gives me the power to live this life
Christ in me to will and do
Christ in me will see me through
Christ will be my guiding light
In valleys low and darkest nights

Chorus:
My hope is in Christ alone
He is my Rock, my cornerstone
And I will trust in His great name
Christ forever the same.

Christ in me, my help in weakness
Christ in me giving me the strength
Christ makes me an over comer
And keeps me strong until the end
Christ in me my help in life
Christ in me be glorified
Christ in me this hidden treasure
Life’s author and, perfecter.
Navaz D Cruz
© 2012 ( you can listen to it herehttp://www.reverbnation.com/navazdcruz/songs)

Stay strong, keep the faith!

Navaz
August 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment