Saturday, November 20, 2010

Satisfaction

Reflections -Satisfaction

Tuesday, 06 April 2010 (rewritten 5th July 2011)

REFL ECTIONS -SATISFACTION

One morning as I sipped my coffee and skimmed through the newspaper reading about the lives of the rich and famous, and all the things they pursue with passion, it made me think about LIFE. We all want to be satisfied in some way or another, be it having a family, a career, a hobby, accumulation of wealth. Different things give satisfaction and pleasure to different people. As I look around me I find the lines blurring between how many Christians view life and how the world around us views life.  Where do Christians look for satisfaction and fulfilment? Are we very different from the world?

There is a world view amongst Christians today that says, “My satisfaction and my self-fulfilment is the most important thing. . For me to be happy and satisfied is of foremost importance” There is a view that promotes the idea that this is the reason why God has made us. Then I contrast this view with what I read about the great heroes of faith who have gone before and even those who are with us in this present age, and think to myself - what gave them satisfaction? Why were they willing to endure such hardships? Why were they willing to go to ends of the earth often with little or no worldly comforts to cushion the journey? Was it easier for them than it is for us now? What is it that marks them out as a cut above the rest? What fuelled their passion and vision and mad them some of the happiest and satisfied people on earth? They did not have the trappings of modernity to ensnare and distract them, some may argue to their own defence.

I look to the Bible and
find no biblical basis for this modern trend of thought. I find quite the contrary - Jesus spoke of denying self (Matt 16:24), laying down of one's life ( John 15:13), going the second mile (Matt 5:41), keeping our thoughts on things not of this world (Col 3:1-2), living as strangers and aliens (1Pet 2:11), being of this world though not of it (John 17:16). These are to quote but a few. The Westminister Catechism puts it well: ”The chief end of man is to enjoy God and glorify HIM forever”



I think there in ONE thing that can sum up the attitude that was characteristic of all these fine men and women.  To put it in Jim Elliot words: He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot loose. The great Apostle Paul said for me to live is Christ, to die is gain (Phil 1:19). The Psalmists echoed similar convictions when they wrote: One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord (Ps 27:4).... How lovely is your dwelling place O Lord (Ps 84:1). And in your presence there's fullness of joy and your right hand are pleasures forevermore.


This makes me think... that if I want to live a life to the full, fully satisfied, and fulfilled, then this is what I should aim to get sorted out first - everything will follow. Everything finds its rightful place when we first find our satisfaction in Christ alone. Many have put the cart before the horse (to their own peril) - looking for satisfaction in things that are temporal and often not in the centre of God's will for their lives. In fact am I not often guilty of using God to get “the stuff” and then giving Him the left over’s (if any)?


Am I saying that I should live an ascetic life? Far from it! We are called to an abundant life. But I also realize that everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial (1 Cor. 10:23). I need to find out what is beneficial for me according to the Lord's will for my life. These were the choices our heroes of faith made. They could have chosen the pleasures of this world, self satisfaction and fulfilment as the world defines it(and as many justify it by adding... "And still serve God"). No - they chose the straight and narrow road of radical obedience uncompromisingly knowing that abundant life and true satisfaction is only found on this path. They understood that broad is the path that leads to death ( not satisfaction as the devil tricks us into thinking) but narrow is the path that leads to life. They did not consider a little career break, the flat LCD, the extra holiday home, pet hobbies, as things of worth in comparison to doing the Master's bidding. They had indeed found the pearl of great price and were willing to give up everything to  go after HIM. The test would be that if my life was stripped away of all material comforts and pleasures would I still be a happy and satisfied person?



When I reflect upon this, my heart is stilled, settled and satisfied because I have found and treasure the PEARL OF GREAT PRICE. And you know what? I find that when I  live with this perspective I see God’s blessings upon me more than I can ask or imagine. I find that I have a joy and deep satisfaction that this world cannot give or take away.That is the reward for a child of God who delights in His presence and finds satisfaction in Him alone. Jesus has promised that, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." (John 7:37)The journey is not all that hard after all and I am able to say with confidence “My boundary lines have fallen in pleasant places" (Ps.16:6).

Navaz D' Cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment